Teach 4th-6th grade students science concepts and lead team building activities in an outdoor setting at 4100' in the Sierra Nevada foothills. This position involves leading small and large groups in day classes, field trips, and night program activities. No overnight supervision of students is required. We provide on-going, paid training for our classes, natural history, interpretation, group management and job search counseling. For those interested, there is the option to learn how to care for, handle and teach about non-releasable raptors at our Raptor Center . Become part of a dedicated staff that is committed to providing both quality outdoor education for our guests as well as providing high quality training for our future educators.
College degree in the field of science, education, outdoor recreation, or related field. Previous experience working with children required, grades 4th - 6th preferred. Work with music or performance is beneficial. Valid drivers license, clear fingerprints and background check, and negative TB test. First aid and CPR/AED required. WFA/WFR/Lifeguard Certification beneficial, but not required. Ability to hike up to five miles per day in all weather conditions. Ability and willingness to live responsibly in shared housing in a remote setting.
10-month Internship Commitment: August 5, 2018 - June 14, 2019 (Non-negotiable)
Applications are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 school year, until all positions are filled.
• Teaching outdoor science
• Small and large group management
• Teaching strategies
• Creating theme based lessons
• Knowledge of Local Natural History
• Facilitating adventure/challenge activities
• Project development
• Resume writing and job searching
• Raptor handling and care
• On-going professional training
• Formal observations and coaching
• Job search assistance
Base monthly stipend of $1,700.
• Housing (private room in a shared house)
• Board (when school is in session). We accommodate Vegan, Vegetarian, and Omnivore diets. Other needs are the responsibility of the staff member.
• Pro-deals with select outfitters
• Financial assistance for one outdoor education related conference
• One paid day to visit and observe another environmental education program in the region
Please send in a Clovis Unified School District Application, cover letter, resume and three current references.
Attn: Brandy Lively
Sierra Outdoor School
15700 Old Oak Ranch Rd.
Sonora, CA 95370
Subject Line: Naturalist Intern Application
Questions? Contact Brandy Lively at email@example.com or (209) 532-3691.